Home
Our History
Vineyard, wine making
Organic farming
Wines & eaux de vies
Wine descriptions
Press review
Food and wine
Distribution
Practical informations
Our links
Gallery
Club Louis Sipp
Contact us
Last update 2014-10-23
 Our History English   Français   

Between the wars

Louis SIPP began his family's involvement in wine growing at the end of the First World War.
Louise , pioneering grandmother of the family, acquired the first plots of vineyard while her husband Louis was away on the Russian Front. The first vats were also bought at this time. Some of those old vats are still in use, and can be seen in our wine cellars. At this time grapes were harvested on the Kirchberg hill (today classified as "Grand Cru" land) and carried in baskets on the harvesters' backs down to the presses, wich were situated at the top end of the town. The first wine awards were given from around 1920.

diplome.jpg




After the war

In 1962, August's sons Louis and Pierre, aided by Pierre's wife Simone, began a rethink of the vineyard's use of vine varieties, veering the business toward the higher quality "noble" varieties Riesling, Gewurztraminer and Tokay Pinot Gris. The vineyard was also by the acquisition of plots bordering those the business already used in Ribeauvillé's very best locations. In 1964 a new wine production plant was brought into service to have the best facilities for handling grapes from around sixty hectares of exceptional land in Ribeauvillé's geological rift zone. 



histoire_apres.gif





Home separator.jpg Search separator.jpg Contact separator.jpg Created by Soluxa